on Restoring Southern Gardens and Landscapes
Learning From the Past / Planting for the Future
October 1-3, 2015
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
The 20th Conference on Restoring Southern Gardens and Landscapes will be held October 1-3, 2015 at Old Salem Museums and Gardens in Winston-Salem, NC.
The conference's mission has always been to discuss historical horticulture, garden history, and landscape restoration in the southern states. The program presents topics of interest to the professional and layman alike and provides participants an opportunity to learn and share information about this field in the South.
The 20th Conference, to be held October 1 – 3, 2015, will recognize several major themes in southern landscape restoration that have gained attention and momentum in the years since the conference's initiation.
All sessions will take place in the Old Salem Visitor Center and at the St. Philips Heritage Center.
Thursday, October 1
- 1:30 p.m. Session I: Seed Saving and Heirloom Gardening
- 6:30 p.m. Conference Dinner and Keynote Lecture Celebrating the conference's founding and its impact on the field of southern landscape restoration
Friday, October 2
- 9:00 a.m. Session II: Pen, Brush and Lens: Art in the Garden
- Conference Lunch
- Free time in the Old Salem Gardens & Museum
- 2:30 p.m. Session III: The African American Landscape and Garden
- Conference Supper on the Grounds. St. Philips Church
Saturday, October 3
- 9:30 a.m. Session IV: Restoring the Early Twentieth-Century Southern Landscape
- Conference Lunch
- 1:30 p.m. Exhibition Viewing: The Artist's Garden: American Impressionism and the Garden Movement, 1887-1920 (Reynolda House Museum of American Art)
Key speakers for the conference and above sessions include Peggy Cornett, Curator of Plants, Monticello; Ira Wallace, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange; Suzanne Turner, Landscape Architect; Michael Twitty, Culinary Historian of African and African American Foodways; Matthew Raiford, Chefarmer, Brunswick, Georgia; Judith Tankard, Landscape Historian; Johanna Brown, Director of Collections, Old Salem; and others.
Registration Form: Please return form and payment to: Old Salem Group Tours & Reservations,
600 S. Main Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27101
For information, contact Sally Gant at email@example.com / 336-721-7361